Well lil one you made a surprise appearance last week. You were born on May 2nd at 1:47 a.m. by an emergency c-section. I had not been feeling well on Monday May 1st and had some nausea and abdominal pain. After I got home from work I thought that the pain would go away if I just rested for awhile. Since the pain didn't go away and your aunt Tina suggested calling the doctor, we ended up going to the hospital around 7:30 p.m. We both had monitors on us and I had blood drawn. Around 9 p.m. the results of the blood tests came back and they said they were going to try to induce labor. We had PIH or pregnancy induced hypertension. I was put on a drip of magnesium sulfate to help lower my blood pressure and a drip of pitocin to help induce labor. Around midnight they took another blood draw and the results came back around 1:15. The on call doctor was paged and we were told that I had HELLP syndrome and you needed to be born right away. At 1:30 they started prepping me for the surgery and I looked at the clock at 1:40 when they gave me pure oxygen and then the anesthesia. You were born a mere 7 minutes later.
Your daddy was there and he got to hold you right away. I was sewn up and taken to recovery. Around 3 a.m. the three of us were reunited back in our hospital room. Daddy and the nurses had given you a bath and you were given to me so I could feed you. You weighed 5 pounds 7 ounces and were 18.5 inches long with dark brown hair.
Looking back on the whole experience was that everything happened so fast that I didn't have time to be scared. The scariest part was when I was in the operating room and the anaesthesiologist was talking to me and there were about 5 other people working on me. I know there was my doctor to do the surgery, a doctor for you, a nurse prepping me, a nurse with your daddy just outside the door. I wanted your dad to be there with me so bad and to hold my hand. But, I knew he would be there shortly and he would get to hold you soon. I just didn't know it would be within minutes. I was given pure oxygen and then the anaesthesia to knock me out. I remember the doctor telling me it would sting and when I replied that it did, Ryan walked in the door. And he said as soon as I said it stung they started cutting me open. I woke up with two nurses above me in a very quiet room. I remember them telling me I had to wait an hour before going to my room. I remember thinking that I just wanted to get down to the room to meet you. It was so weird to wake up in this foreign place and know that you were no longer in my belly. It was almost surreal.
I don't remember my first thoughts when they handed you to me. I think I was relieved that you were there and okay. Your dad told me you were healthy and screamed right out of the womb so I think I knew I didn't have to worry about you. I do remember seeing the love and awe in your dad's face.
Your daddy was there and he got to hold you right away. I was sewn up and taken to recovery. Around 3 a.m. the three of us were reunited back in our hospital room. Daddy and the nurses had given you a bath and you were given to me so I could feed you. You weighed 5 pounds 7 ounces and were 18.5 inches long with dark brown hair.
Looking back on the whole experience was that everything happened so fast that I didn't have time to be scared. The scariest part was when I was in the operating room and the anaesthesiologist was talking to me and there were about 5 other people working on me. I know there was my doctor to do the surgery, a doctor for you, a nurse prepping me, a nurse with your daddy just outside the door. I wanted your dad to be there with me so bad and to hold my hand. But, I knew he would be there shortly and he would get to hold you soon. I just didn't know it would be within minutes. I was given pure oxygen and then the anaesthesia to knock me out. I remember the doctor telling me it would sting and when I replied that it did, Ryan walked in the door. And he said as soon as I said it stung they started cutting me open. I woke up with two nurses above me in a very quiet room. I remember them telling me I had to wait an hour before going to my room. I remember thinking that I just wanted to get down to the room to meet you. It was so weird to wake up in this foreign place and know that you were no longer in my belly. It was almost surreal.
I don't remember my first thoughts when they handed you to me. I think I was relieved that you were there and okay. Your dad told me you were healthy and screamed right out of the womb so I think I knew I didn't have to worry about you. I do remember seeing the love and awe in your dad's face.

Comments