Roll model
Is weight an issue for you? Heck no! Do I want it to be? good lord, no. Do I think about it? heck yes.
This little blog should be separated out. One about you and the glorious things that you do. And one for the parenting piece. Maybe I should do that soon, but for now this post is about me and the world of weight.
Weight is an issue in our society. We worry if we are too fat or too skinny. We get ridiculed if we are overweight. We see news articles on how fat America is. Other countries think that Americans are all fat and lazy. We obsess over our weight. We see celebrities going in and out of rehab for their eating disorders - anorexia, bulimia and various iterations of the two. We see pictures of these skinny celebrities and think this is the image we need to live up to. We see news stories of all these overweight people and are supposed to be scared skinny.
I read through probably 5 different blogs this afternoon about how they were told they were too fat or too skinny by other people. How their mothers influenced their perceptions, what they do now to 'love the skin their in', etc. What I get from this is that I need to watch what I say about weight in front of my beautiful little one. That I need to set the example. And to keep my thoughts on track on what is important and weed out what is not.
I will continue to 'worry' about what you eat, if you are eating enough, the right foods, if you are getting enough physical exercise, etc. I am going to try and not worry about your weight right now. We will try to stay healthy and eat 'healthy foods' and have a healthy family.
This little blog should be separated out. One about you and the glorious things that you do. And one for the parenting piece. Maybe I should do that soon, but for now this post is about me and the world of weight.
Weight is an issue in our society. We worry if we are too fat or too skinny. We get ridiculed if we are overweight. We see news articles on how fat America is. Other countries think that Americans are all fat and lazy. We obsess over our weight. We see celebrities going in and out of rehab for their eating disorders - anorexia, bulimia and various iterations of the two. We see pictures of these skinny celebrities and think this is the image we need to live up to. We see news stories of all these overweight people and are supposed to be scared skinny.
I read through probably 5 different blogs this afternoon about how they were told they were too fat or too skinny by other people. How their mothers influenced their perceptions, what they do now to 'love the skin their in', etc. What I get from this is that I need to watch what I say about weight in front of my beautiful little one. That I need to set the example. And to keep my thoughts on track on what is important and weed out what is not.
I will continue to 'worry' about what you eat, if you are eating enough, the right foods, if you are getting enough physical exercise, etc. I am going to try and not worry about your weight right now. We will try to stay healthy and eat 'healthy foods' and have a healthy family.


Comments