Goodbye Shortbranch






My grandparents, your great-grandparents have sold their home and 20 acres (of the 280 they own). They are in their late 80s and are no longer able to take care of themselves. Grandpa had offered the farm to us back in October, but then changed his mind and was going to move back in himself. After realizing he couldn't, we had already canceled our job interviews and had decided to stay here in Seattle.

Now the farm is gone to a stranger. The house that I loved visiting as a kid. The place where I used to ride Sasha, my mom's horse. The house I had hoped would be around when you were older to play in the open fields. To maybe have a horse of your own. It holds so many fond memories and it is gone. I loved visiting my grandmother there. She would tell me stories about the little old man and the little old woman with the little old dog. My grandmother used to make beautiful quilts in her sewing room and lend me her big shirts for me to sleep in. I used to play with my cousins, ride the four wheeler, swing on the tree swing, and eat all of grandpa's home grown HUGE vegetables. They would always taste the best. Now that I am grown, I will miss so many more things. The old oven that is probably an antique, riding the tractor with grandpa, the smell of the alfalfa field, even helping with the garden, lawn, chickens, etc.

I am so sad to no longer have this house in our family. I know Grandpa still owns most of the land, but it doesn't feel the same. I'm sure it will be only a matter of time before it is all gone.

Comments

Popular Posts